Adapted from Yamuna’s Table
Published on January 15, 2009
Credit to: Lisa Turner
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1 cup roasted, shelled and unsalted peanuts
- 1 cup diced fresh pumpkin
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- juice from 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. When hot, add the sesame oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Toss in the coriander seeds and chili flakes and stir until the seeds darken a couple of shades without burning, a couple of minutes. Add the peanuts and vegetables and continue to stir for 5 minutes. Pour in the vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer until the peanuts are tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let cool slightly before puréeing with a hand blender or in a counter top blender. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and plenty of fresh ground black pepper.
- Serve hot or warm.
Makes 6 to 8 servings