credit: Aunt Clara’s Kitchen
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 lbs celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 quart vegetable broth
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-low heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion. Cook and stir until it turns transparent.
- Add cumin powder, bay leaf, celery. Cook and stir for a minute.
- Add carrots, celeriac and potatoes, lower heat to minimum and add two tablespoons of broth.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking or burning.
- Add the remaining vegetable stock, cover and simmer until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, blend the soup, season with salt and pepper to taste.
BASIC BAKED KALE CHIPS
Credit: Martha Stewart (Yeah, I know.)
Tear the leaves of one bunch of curly- of flat-leaf kale into 2-inch pieces and toss with a tablespoon (or two, depending on how healthy you’re trying to be) of extra-virgin olive oil and a teaspoon of coarse salt. Spread the kale out on a large rimmed baking sheet (use two baking sheets, if necessary — the kale should have enough room to bake in a single layer).
For dry, crisp chips: Bake at 300 degrees for 3o – 35 minutes, stirring halfway through.
For toasted chips with browned edges: Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring two or three times.
FAST IDEAS FOR FRESH FLAVOR
- Kale Chips with Kick: Add a teaspoon or two of Sriracha sauce to the oil before tossing with kale and baking.
- Lemon Zest Kale Chips: Finely grate lemon zest over the kale chips as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Soy Sauce-Kale Chips: Replace half the oil with soy sauce, and cut back on salt, for some savory, umami flavor.
- Double-Healthy Kale Chips: Sprinkle with nutrient-rich nutritional yeast. (Okay, this one might be veering back into the “hippie food” category, but trust us, it’s delicious! The chips taste nice and cheesy)
- Chile-Lime Kale Chips: Mix a bit of chile powder in with the salt, squeeze lime juice over kale chips when they’re hot out of the oven.