Here’s another one from Natalie! (Natalie is doing awesome things at WHEELS and she has a sweet blog you can check out at http://www.upliftwithme.com
Thanks for sharing the pic and the recipes with all of us!!!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1-2 butternut squashes
- 1 quart of vegetable cooking stalk
- 1-2 onions
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup milk or 1/4th cup non-dairy milk +1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat Oven: 425
- Cut 1-2 butternut squashes lengthwise and brush the inside down with coconut oil. (Some people remove the seeds and gunk before cooking, I find it’s easier to do after it is cooked.)
- Place Butternut squash in the oven cook for 30-45 minutes or until soft when poking with fork.
After squash is done take out and let cool on pan/cooling rack
- When Squash While squash is cooking begin roasting the diced onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Cook on low and stir frequently to avoid burning
- Slowly add one quart of vegetable cooking stalk and begin to simmer
- Remove seeds and peel skin off of cooled squashes (can easily be done with a fork) Mash the squash up a bit in a bowl then add it to the pot.
- Bring contents to boil then immediately reduce heat simmering for about 6 minutes, immediately take off stove.
- In a separate cup or bowl mix ¼ cup coconut or non-dairy milk with 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Slowly stir into mixture.
- Once soup has cooled a bit add in small batches to a blender. Proceed to blend for about two minutes or until the soup is at desired consistency
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds for some extra crunch and enjoy! (optional)
Pairs well with slow cooked kale and slightly toasted sourdough bread (buy it fresh or local made to ensure freshness)
Slow Cooked Kale
- 1-2 Red onion
- 2-5 garlic cloves (depending on how much garlic you like)
- One bunch of fresh kale
- Apple cider vinegar (optional)
- Coconut oil (for cooking)
- Wash and cut Kale horizontally leaving stems out (Save them for smoothies!)
- Cut onions preferred size
- Crush garlic cloves (by placing knife sideways on clove and lightly pressing down on knife with palm_
Warm 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan. When slightly warm add red onions and garlic cloves. Sautee until light brown (2-3 minutes) stirring often. Add kale one handful at a time stirring to mix all ingredients as you go. When all Kale is added salt and pepper the dish and put turn stove temperature to low.
Cook meal for 5-7 min. stirring occasionally. When kale is a bright dark green it’s done. (Don’t kill the nutrients!)